History of the Firehouse Arts Center
The historic fire station in downtown Pleasanton was built in 1929 with bricks from a local brick foundry. This treasured building extends its legacy with the Pleasanton community as it transformed into the Firehouse Arts Center.
Construction on the project began in summer 2008, with completion in fall of 2010. The new Firehouse Arts Center includes portions of the historic original brick building blended with new construction space and features, as well as solar panels. Pleasanton residents Nancy and Gary Harrington have generously donated what became a dramatic feature of the Firehouse Arts Center—two 30-foot glass marquees designed by world-renowned glass artist Martin Donlon. Oakland artist Jill Turman designed the signage for the Firehouse Arts Center, with an artistic banner for the facility that complements the architectural design of the building and the art glass marquees for both entrances.
The Firehouse Today
In September 2010, the facility opened to the public. The new Firehouse Arts Center features a 227-Seat theater, a 2000 Sqft Gallery and 2 large classrooms for various activities and programs relating to the arts. In 2011, the City of Pleasanton was honored by the California Parks & Recreation Society with an Award of Excellence for the design of the facility. Today the facility is home to 3 theatre companies with a total of 67 performances per season, in addition to 26 musical and comedy performances that run throughout the year. The Harrington Gallery hosts several exhibits throughout the year, from local and prominent artists throughout the Bay Area, with many more on display in the lobby and hallway walls.