The imposing building (ca1886) of T.H. Roberts is a remarkably well-preserved ironmonger's which still has its original fittings.
At the turn of the century over 500 gold miners were employed around Dolgellau; many of their picks and shovels must have come from here. A much older building, Cwrt Plas yn Dre, once stood on the site, and was reputedly a meeting place for the famous Welsh rebel Owain Glyndwr who temporarily controlled much of Wales in the early 1400s. Despite being the town's chief tourist attraction, the building was demolished in 1881. Parts were re-erected in Newtown.