Arguably the finest architect designed building in the town, the County Hall, was built in 1825 at a cost of £3,000. The architect was Edward Haycock. This was the administrative headquarters of Meirionnydd in the 19th century. It was used as a court house until 2016. The porches were filled in in 1995, spoiling the simple elegance of the building. The slate in front is something of a mystery. At first sight it appears to be a milestone; the mileage figures were, however, carved at a later date. It may have originally recorded stagecoach fares.