Chapels

Chapels

At the height of the religious revival at the beginning of the 20th century Dolgellau had about ten chapels. Their services, Sunday schools, prayer meetings and bible readings were a major social focus of the town. In 1829 the Sunday School at Salem Chapel had 400 children and 71 teachers. The main chapels were largely rebuilt in the late 19th century (Tabernacl 1868, Salem 1893, Ebenezer 1880, Judah 1839/1928). Several chapels have been converted to other uses recently; a post office, a theatre, a dental surgery.