Y Domen Fawr (Meyrick Square). The name suggests a dump or mound once stood here. In the early 19th century it was a crowded warren of little houses, workshops, shops and "tippling houses". The population density of the whole town used to be much higher. The 1801 census recorded 2,949 inhabitants. Today the population is slightly lower but there are at least twice as many dwellings.