1980s - Farming landowners

Delamore and Johnstone families

In the late 20th century, the hills around Matiatia were under the stewardship of the Delamore and Johnstone families, each running stock on (the very steep) pastureland.

They were enlightened owners and had a vision for restoring pockets of native bush, and making provision for public access to the land. These became requirements for the new subdiivisions.

Nick and Nettie Johnstone donated a part of their property, to the Forest & Bird society, which became Te Atawahi Whenua Reserve.

The Delamores gifted 11ha to the Department of Conservation in 1987. This became the Matietie Historic reserve, a coastal strip from Matiatia around the northern headland Mokemoke, to Owhanake Bay.

  • <p>Owhanake Bay, Oneroa, Waiheke Island, Auckland, 29th January 1954. <em>Whites Aviation Ltd :Photographs. Ref: WA-34325-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23529767</em></p>