A lovely old double-ender that many Waiheke (and Devonport) commuters will still remember.
She started as a regular the Matiatia run in 1965 (along with the Ngoiro), though Kestrel had been around on the Waitematā Harbour since 1905, as a steamship. She was converted to diesel power in 1951, and was finally replaced on the Waiheke run by the Quickcat in 1987.
It’s ironic that Kestrel’s days on the Waiheke run were sandwiched by the futuristic hydrofoil Manu Wai, and the modern aluminium catamaran Quickcat.
Builder and date: C Bailey Jnr, 1905
Gross tons: 245
Engine: 1 x 6 cylinder diesel engine, Crossley UK, 1950
Speed: 10 knots
Passengers/crew: 1258 / 3