The Ngoiro first ran to Matiatia in Easter 1929, on a special charter excursion for people to view the Oneroa Estates subdivision.
She then entered regular service to Matiatia in April 1943, for the Devonport Steam Ferry Company.
“The ferry company charged 2/6 return compared with Day’s [the opposition, who ran the Dutchess] excursion rate of 3/6, and Waiheke residents in the western districts petitioned for the resumption of the Matiatia bus service,” writes David Balderston in The Waiheke Ferries of Auckland (Grantham House Publishing, 1991).
“The Devonport Steam ferry Company increased its competition on Christmas Eve 1943 with four trips to Matiatia and then a daily servive during January and February 1944… Usually the trips were carried out by the Ngoiro, but she was replaced at times by other ferries including the Albatross, the Peregrine and even the Pupuke.”
In the 19402, a baby boy was born to a Maori Family, on the boat. His parents named him Ngoiro St John, after the ferry and the ambulance that came to fetch them at the wharf in Auckland.
Ngoiro was taken out of service in 1959, and became a floating restaurant.
Builder and date: C Bailey Jnr, 1913
Hull: Composite, single screw double-ender
Gross tons: 204
Engine: 1 triple expansion steam engine, Ross & Duncan, Glasgow, UK
Speed: 12 knots