The Iris Moana was originally a Fairmile B motor launch of the New Zealand Navy.
She was constructed in Auckland during the second world war for about £35,000. She was designated HMNZ ML409 and served in the Solomon Islands.
In 1947 she was sold to a private buyer.
Then the navy repurchased her in 1953 and she was recommissioned as HMNZS Maori (P3570).
In 1963 the navy sold her again, and she became the Auckland-Waiheke ferry Iris Moana.
Length: 107 feet
Beam: 18 feet
Owners: North Shore ferries 1965-1981; Devonport Steam Ferry Group of Companies, 1981-late 1980s
Built by: Associated Boat Builders, Auckland in 1943
Gross tons: 147
Engines: 2 x 6-cyinder diesels, Gardner, UK