1906 - Yacht Squadron lease

Land shifts

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron took a lease on the flat land of Matiatia 1906, to create an occasional “station for the fleet.” This lease was soon taken over by the Devonport Steam Ferry Company.

  • <p>From the early 1900s, Matiatia was a popular destination for yachties. Auckland Museum, DU436.1187 M43.</p>
  • <p>Holiday crowd: Matiatia bursting with boats in December 1936.<br>Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19361230-44-1.</p>
  • <p>Mr. Spencer, a botanist who crewed with Gerard Allely on his launch, sitting on partly submerged hulk M A Doran at Matiatia. C1930s. <em>Frank Morris, West Auckland Research Centre, Frank Morris Collection, FMO-037-00030-G.</em></p>
  • <p>Yachties on the burnt remains of the M.A Duran, c1930s. Frank Morris, <em>West Auckland Research Centre, Frank Morris Collection, FMO-037-00032-G.</em></p>